Saturday, November 21, 2009

HONK IF YOU LOVED JOE SCHMOE

*this was written by BostonGirl on a different site we used to write on together.

As I drove down the icy, snowy roads back to my office building during my return from a doctor's appointment, I couldn't help but notice a bumper sticker on the car in front of me. "In memory of Marc Rice, 05/13/1985-09/16/2008" was written below the image of a cross that looked like it was taken from the Microsoft Word Clip Art Gallery. The shiny black & white sticker looked especially cheap, as if a bumper sticker can appear as anything but.

I began wondering who decided that this would be a worthy memorial for young Marc. Was it his sister who came up with the idea to get a big box of bumper stickers with her big brother's name plastered across the front? Or perhaps it was one of Marc's college buddies who never quite got to know his friend's family until the wake, but he wanted to show how much he cared.

What exactly was it about a bumper sticker that appealed to those close to Marc? What made them think it was a good idea to get these bumper stickers made? So Marc's name and his dates of birth and death could sit alongside the words "I brake for tailgaters" and the name of a local morning radio show? Don't get me wrong; I feel for those who have lost someone they love. I just can't understand the recent trend of memorial bumper stickers. What's next, memorial air fresheners? Visors? Magnets? Shot glasses?

Upon my return to the office, I was determined to gain a better understanding. I began my research. Let's see how the distributors of memorial bumper stickers market their products.

"Our memorial decals / memorial bumper stickers are truly unique. A fitting way to honor a loved one or friend," reads the product overview at mainelyurns.com. Hmm... Personally, I'd be insulted if I was up in heaven watching crappy cars drive around with my name written on their bumper stickers. So, they really thought a bumper sticker was a fitting way to honor me???

In my search, I came across a couple memorial bumper sticker websites that actually do make sense. One was in memory of someone who was killed by a drunk driver and the bumper sticker included the words "Please drive sober" underneath the victim's name and date of death. This one makes sense; it issues a reminder to other drivers of the risks of driving drunk. Okay, that's fine. Another website issues personalized bumper stickers honoring law enforcement professionals who were killed in the line of duty. These stickers, the website says, help to inform others of the sacrifices law enforcement officers make for the public. Okay, that makes a little sense. At least they have a purpose.

My research hasn't helped me to understand why some people decide to order customized bumper stickers when a loved one dies. To me, it seems very strange. But... who am I to judge? Right? Go nuts with your funeral souvenirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment